The Franco-American Institute, a non-profit organization of general interest, is a warm and welcoming place promoting inter-cultural dialog in the heart of Rennes.
For over fifty years, the Franco-American Institute has been initiating encounters and developing relations between French citizens, Americans and lovers of American culture, aiming to improve their mutual cultural understanding.
The Institute is a platform where members can meet and initiate partnerships, with the ultimate goal of strengthening the economic and institutional relations that bind our two countries.
Our English-language library gathers over 10,000 items of all kinds: American literature, newspapers, comics, children’s books. It is also a documentation center where American and French citizens alike can find information about practical issues.
(Administrative queries about ESTA and VISA forms are to be addressed directly to the American Embassy in Paris)
Our cultural facilities -the library, the 100-seat auditorium and the exhibition gallery- allow us to offer a wide range of cultural events:
- Conferences in which American and French experts shed light on the economy, on politics and on current events
- Literary gatherings: novels, plays and poetry are celebrated at the Institute
- Exhibitions: photography, painting, installations…
- American festivities: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Presidential Election Breakfast, Fourth of July…
- Discussion clubs in English for different age groups and tailored to suit your interests (for members only).
All year long, the Franco-American Institute offers support to American exchange students in Rennes. These American students come to Rennes for short or long stays and are hosted by local families. The families are selected by the Institute, which encourages inter-cultural exchanges between French and American residents in Rennes. The partner Universities are: Hiram College (Ohio), The University of Rochester (New-York), Concordia College (Minnesota)
+ You would like to host an American Student or you wish to learn more about the hosting programs: Click here